Information for Tenants
Our aim is to have the very best of relationships with all our clients. Happy tenants make for happy landlords and we work hard to make sure all parties enjoy the tenancy.
We are introducers for One Broker who offer a variety of insurance products designed specifically for the lettings market. Click here to obtain your landlord or tenant home insurance quote.
Sowerbys Lettings Service
- Take time to listen to you and establish your requirements
- Keep you informed of properties that match your requirements and update you when suitable properties come on the market
- Provide clear, well laid out property details, with high quality, colour internal and external photographs
- A frequently updated and user friendly website
- Conveniently located offices with courteous and knowledgeable staff
- Accompanied viewings and we do our best to answer your questions
- Ensure complete discretion
- Open Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:30pm and Saturday from 9:00am to 3:00pm
- An honest, transparent approach
- Communication throughout the referencing and renting process
- We’ll always say if we don’t know… and then do our best to find out!
- …and we make great coffee while you browse or chat in a relaxed atmosphere!
How much does it cost to rent?
When you've found a property to rent, you'll have to make some payments before you move in. Take a look below to make sure you're aware of them...
Before you move in:
To include all administration, references, tenancy agreements and check in:
Tenant application fee: £330.00, plus £75 per additional tenant (over the age of 18)
Express move in (within 3 days): additional £50.00
Guarantor referencing fee: £75.00
(If applicable) flatfair deposit-free renting membership fee: equal to 1 week’s rent at the property + VAT (per household)
(held with the Deposit Protection Service) - calculated at six weeks rent unless otherwise stated
Deposit Free Renting:
Sowerbys has partnered with the UK’s fastest growing deposit alternative flatfair to offer deposit-free renting on many of our properties. When you become a member and enter into the scheme, the need to pay out for a deposit is replaced with a simple, one-off membership fee worth just 1 week’s rent at your desired property (split between the household). This can potentially save tenants thousands. Any lawful claims are then payable at the end of the tenancy and you will have direct access to Independent Dispute Resolution.
During your tenancy:
Addendum fee: £60.00
Renewal fee: £105.00
Check out Fee: Prices vary depending on the size of the property (prices available on request)
After your tenancy:
(If applicable) Raising a dispute with flatfair (refundable): £100.00 + VAT
Client money protection is provided by ARLA (The Association of Residental Letting Agents)
Redress scheme is provided by The Property Ombudsman
How to Rent a Property
1. If you wish to apply, please contact us by phone as soon as possible on 01362 693560.
Deposit Free Renting
|We’ve partnered with payment technology experts flatfair to offer tenants the option of deposit-free renting - it’s the simple, safe and affordable alternative to tenancy deposits.|
Many of our properties are offered through this non-compulsory scheme. If you’d like to know more, just speak to one of our agents.
● No deposit - pay an affordable membership fee instead of an expensive deposit
● Healthier finances - rent smarter and avoid paying double deposits in between tenancies.
● Keeping it fair - full transparency into any claims made against you and stay protected through Independent Dispute Resolution.
● Pay when you leave - In the case of a lawful claim, simply pay at the end of your tenancy.
● Control on-the-go - Manage your membership through flatfair’s simple platform, from any device, 24/7.
● Build your cred - flatfair rewards tenants who pay their rent on time and care for their rented home.
How flatfair works
Join flatfair and don’t pay a deposit
Instead of an expensive deposit, tenants pay atfair a small membership fee equal to the value of 1 week’s rent + VAT at the accommodation (split evenly between the household).
A fairer claims process through www.flatfair.co.uk
Your letting agent or landlord submits any proposed claims and evidence for your review through www.flatfair.co.uk after your tenancy has finished. You can counter any claims with alternative evidence until an agreement is reached. Should you or the landlord disagree about a claim, the claim will be resolved through Independent Dispute Resolution - following the same rules as the deposit schemes.
flatfair will only charge you for any lawful claims after your tenancy has finished.
Build your rental reputation
Stick to your rental obligations, build up a strong flatscore and benefit from discounts when moving into your next accommodation.
flatfair’s deposit-free scheme is also available to existing tenants who have a standard Tenancy Deposit at their current rented home.
For more information, visit flatfair.co.uk/tenants, or speak to one of our agents.
Rent payments can now be added to your credit history!
We realise that for nearly all tenants, rent is their biggest monthly expense. What comes as a surprise for most people is that unlike on time mortgage payments, on time rent payments are not added to an individual’s credit score. A healthy credit history is vital for us all as it helps secure better deals on credit cards, loans, utility bills, and even mobile phone contracts.Our partnership with CreditLadder helps our tenants sign up for free and ensure that rent payments are added to every tenant’s Experian credit history.
As a tenant you will simply need to register on the CreditLadder website. Your landlord/agent doesn't have to use CreditLadder as you pay the rent in the same way you usually would. Rent reporting is 100% free.
CreditLadder always acts in full compliance with the Data Protection Act. CreditLadder uses bank-grade encryption and is members of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO, registration number 10074481) which is the UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting data privacy for the individual. CreditLadder adheres to best practice for data protection and CreditLadder never store your bank login credentials.