Information for Tenants
Sowerbys Lettings Service
- Take time to listen to you and establish your requirements
- Keep you informed of properties that match your requirements and update you when suitable properties come on the market
- Provide clear, well laid out property details, with high quality, colour internal and external photographs
- A frequently updated and user friendly website
- Conveniently located offices with courteous and knowledgeable staff
- Accompanied viewings and we do our best to answer your questions
- Ensure complete discretion
- Open Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:30pm and Saturday from 9:00am to 3:00pm
- An honest, transparent approach
- Communication throughout the referencing and renting process
- We’ll always say if we don’t know… and then do our best to find out!
- …and we make great coffee while you browse or chat in a relaxed atmosphere!
Our fees and charges explained
When you've found a property to rent, you'll have to make some payments before you move in. Take a look below to make sure you're aware of them...
Refundable holding deposit (to reserve a property):
Capped at no more than 1 weeks rent
Tenancy amendment fee:
£50 inc VAT
Charged for any amendment necessary that alters the obligations within the tenancy agreement
Pets to be kept in the property
Change of sharer or tenant
Refundable Tenancy Deposit:
Capped at 5 weeks rent where annual rent is less than £50,000 per annum or 6 weeks for rents over £50,000 per annum
Alternative deposit (flatfair):
fee set at 1 weeks rent plus vat
Early Termination of Tenancy Fee:
This fee will be the total cost of the landlords re-letting charges typically 1 months rent inc VAT, Inventory, check in and out costs £150 inc VAT and the rent due until a new tenant moves in to the property in question.
Late payment of rent (14 days in arrears):
Fee payable at 3% above the Bank of England base rate for each day the payment has been outstanding.
Lost Key Fee:
£25 inc VAT plus the cost price of keys or fob replaced
After your tenancy:
(If applicable) Raising a dispute with flatfair (refundable): £100.00 + VAT
Client money protection is provided by ARLA (The Association of Residental Letting Agents)
Redress scheme is provided by The Property Ombudsman
How to Rent a Property
1. If you wish to apply, please complete the tenancy application form here
Deposit Free Renting
|We’ve partnered with payment technology experts flatfair to offer tenants the option of deposit-free renting - it’s the simple, safe and affordable alternative to tenancy deposits.|
Many of our properties are offered through this non-compulsory scheme. If you’d like to know more, just speak to one of our agents.
● No deposit - pay an affordable membership fee instead of an expensive deposit
● Healthier finances - rent smarter and avoid paying double deposits in between tenancies.
● Keeping it fair - full transparency into any claims made against you and stay protected through Independent Dispute Resolution.
● Pay when you leave - In the case of a lawful claim, simply pay at the end of your tenancy.
● Control on-the-go - Manage your membership through flatfair’s simple platform, from any device, 24/7.
● Build your cred - flatfair rewards tenants who pay their rent on time and care for their rented home.
How flatfair works
Join flatfair and don’t pay a deposit
Instead of an expensive deposit, tenants pay atfair a small membership fee equal to the value of 1 week’s rent + VAT at the accommodation (split evenly between the household).
A fairer claims process through www.flatfair.co.uk
Your letting agent or landlord submits any proposed claims and evidence for your review through www.flatfair.co.uk after your tenancy has finished. You can counter any claims with alternative evidence until an agreement is reached. Should you or the landlord disagree about a claim, the claim will be resolved through Independent Dispute Resolution - following the same rules as the deposit schemes.
flatfair will only charge you for any lawful claims after your tenancy has finished.
Build your rental reputation
Stick to your rental obligations, build up a strong flatscore and benefit from discounts when moving into your next accommodation.
flatfair’s deposit-free scheme is also available to existing tenants who have a standard Tenancy Deposit at their current rented home.
For more information, visit flatfair.co.uk/tenants, or speak to one of our agents.
Rent payments can now be added to your credit history!
We realise that for nearly all tenants, rent is their biggest monthly expense. What comes as a surprise for most people is that unlike on time mortgage payments, on time rent payments are not added to an individual’s credit score. A healthy credit history is vital for us all as it helps secure better deals on credit cards, loans, utility bills, and even mobile phone contracts.Our partnership with CreditLadder helps our tenants sign up for free and ensure that rent payments are added to every tenant’s Experian credit history.
As a tenant you will simply need to register on the CreditLadder website. Your landlord/agent doesn't have to use CreditLadder as you pay the rent in the same way you usually would. Rent reporting is 100% free.
CreditLadder always acts in full compliance with the Data Protection Act. CreditLadder uses bank-grade encryption and is members of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO, registration number 10074481) which is the UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting data privacy for the individual. CreditLadder adheres to best practice for data protection and CreditLadder never store your bank login credentials.